Monday, July 10, 2023

Playing Cards with Friends - July 2023

Hello my friends!  I have a very sweet and generous card maker who graciously accepted my invitation to Play Cards this month.  Here's our back story...

I meet lots of fabulous and talented card makers over on Instagram, and through the many challenges where I play.  Katinka - or Kat as she likes to be called - is one of them.  Kat won the December 2022 Altenew Inspiration Challenge [you can see her darling snowdrops card HERE] and with the win comes a gift card.  Kat DM'd me asking for my email address then sent me an email and with it, her prize.  I don't know the answer to 'why me?' but I am blown away by her kindness!  

I won't be using the product I purchased for my card today, but I did send a thank you note using it!    

Alright are you ready for our assignment?  July is World Watercolor Month - did you know that??  So of course, we are water coloring!  There's more:

  •     Any image may be used, but it must be heat embossed!  and 
  •    Let's make it a birthday card - because I have a long list of birthdays in July!
For today's card I once again used the Rosa Gallica set from Altenew.  - it was a dream to watercolor!  Hope you like it, Kat!


I found I could achieve a 'no-line' coloring look by using clear embossing powder!
Taping my card panel to a palette made it easier to see the lines by tipping it
toward the light from my window.


Zigs are not my go-to for water coloring, but today they behaved well because
I used a really good paper from Fabriano.  I scribbled each onto my glass mat, add a drop of water, and picked the color up with a wet brush to achieve this water-y loose effect.  I allowed each layer to dry before adding another.


I die cut my finished piece and sent the corner remnant through my Big Shot with that favorite Stampin' Up Subtle Texture folder ... here's a little closeup ... 


I ink-matched my sentiment from PTI to the little 'Forget-me-Nots' I 
imagined in this pretty bouquet.

Kat, I am inviting all of my wonderful friends to follow me right to you right NOW, because I can't wait another moment to see how you've added water coloring to your birthday card today!  Thanks so much for Playing Cards with me sweet friend!
=] Michele

BTW you can follow Kat @megustazellulose on Instagram, too!

19 comments:

Marcia Hill said...

WOW!!! You have definitely got the water coloring technique down beautifully Michele...this card is GORGEOUS!! I will totally have to try the clear embossing first to give the no line effect...sooooo pretty!! Off to check out Kat's card now! Hugs. :0)

Stephanie Lanzalotto said...

Such a gorgeous watercolor creation. I rarely pull out my zigs. I have some time today, so that is what I am going to do!

me gusta zellulose said...

Ohhhh this is such delicate watercoloring, I love it! Especially in the combination with the white heat embossing. And how clever of you to use the corner cutoff for an embossed background - better not let that good Fabriano stuff go to waste ;-)
Thank you so much again for inviting me to play cards with you!
xoxo, Kat

Bonnie said...

WOW! I didn't know this was World Watercoloring Month! Your watercolored flowers are just GORGEOUS, my friend! Love the colors you used and the lovely loose look! Embossing the background gives even more interest!

LeAnne said...

Wow, I didn't know July was World Watercolor Month...but that's exciting to me! I love to watercolor, as long as someone else does the drawing! These blooms are colored so beautifully! You are an awesome watercolorer!

Bobby said...

I love to watercolor with my Zigs but I have never made anything look as fabulous as this, Michele. Sensational card, my friend.

Vikki H said...

I love your water coloring with the extra help of clear embossing, my favorite technique when wc. The shading of your colors and matching ink on the sentiment is beautifully done.

lostinpaper said...

So so beautiful Michele!

Lisa Elton said...

Absolutely gorgeous, Michele! Love the colors you chose. The Zigs worked well for this little masterpiece!

Jeanne said...

Wowzers, Michele. You are a fantastic watercolorist no matter what product you use! This is gorgeous!!

Linda Callahan said...

Wow I need to sit my Zigs down and give them a good talking to…..who knew they could be so gorgeous….and well behaved!?!?! You are the Zig master! Glorious card!

Brenda said...

Awww, Kat sounds like a sweetheart! I love your stunning card Michele, you certainly achieved that no line look. So the secret to Zigs is good paper?! Probably wouldn't work for me. LOL But you definitely got a gorgeous water color look on these blooms and leaves, I love this so much! And like you, I am loving that SU embossing folder. Subtle but sure makes a huge difference with texture. Hugs, Brenda

Leslie Miller said...

Oh, my word, stop! This is incredibly gorgeous. A beautiful stamp and watercolored to perfection with the watery look I love so much. A large open stamp like this is perfect for it. Honestly, When I look at this stamp I don't imagine such beauty. Fantastic, Michele! I will look up Kat, too. She sounds like a very nice person.

baileyrosy.com said...

Such pretty and delicate watercolouring.I find the embossing helps to keep me from going outside the lines which I'm prone to do left unsupervised. Such a perfect card as always.Am off to visit Kats's page

Marie

HilaryJane said...

What amazing watercolouring, love the clear embossing idea and the loose painting. It has worked so well. Lovely texture on the background too xx

Cat Craig said...

How nice of her. Sweet card, off to see Kat...

Kristin Sluhan said...

Absolutely beautiful! I must work on my watercolor skills and you've inspired me to work on it before the end of the month!

Papercraft Boutique said...

What pretty and delicate watercoloring, Michele! Using clear embossing powder is a great idea to do no-line watercoloring! I'll remember that. :-) Crafty friends are kind and generous, aren't they?
Hideko xx

Karren said...

Beautiful! You do watercolour so very well! This is totally gorgeous.