Saturday, May 20, 2023

Playing Cards with Friends May 2023

Hello, my friends!  I'm happy to be Playing Cards with Friends again!  My guest should be very familiar to you - I have admired Leslie Miller's gorgeous designs for years but in the last few years I feel like we've gotten to know each other a little bit better - you know how that goes, right?  Blogging has a way of bringing us all together in one big happy family!  I dream of visiting her in Oregon one day and playing cards for reals in her little corner of the paper crafting world!

Leslie is a master at creating scenes on her cards - Lavinia stamps are among her favorites... please do check them out over at Running with Scissors!  Her DT work for the Double D Challenge is just one of the places she spreads her love of crafting.

Our playdate is all about the Honeybee today - not the stamp company, though they are most welcome - but this little guy...


Yes, today is World Bee Day and you can read all about it HERE.  Let's just say our assignment is a honey... 
                            
    Make a card that includes a honeybee!
    Flowers are welcome, but not necessary!    
    Add a honeycomb, the color yellow, or black and yellow stripes.

Fun, right?  Here's where the assignment took me... on my first try:


It's CAS. It's cute. It uses my latest embossing folder from Club Spellbinders,
and a sweet honeybee from HoneyBee Stamps!  But then an 'old friend' found its way into my shopping cart, and sparked a card of a different color...


You'll see the bag is empty - and neither of us lost a filling so there's that
bit of good news!  I just loved the BOLD graphics of their 'new look!'


  • Some bright cardstocks in honey yellow and orange - don't ask... I'm quite sure they are from The Stamp Market, but they were both tucked in my stash unlabeled.
  • A very old Gina Marie background die gave my bright orange card cover a bit of texture.
  • Pigment Craft Co. provided the 'drippy' shape with a big leaf die.
  • The Stamp Market's Hex Die Set for my honeycomb cut and sentiment.
  • There's my friend from HoneyBee again - this time, stamped and fussy cut for a little pop of white.
  • A good drizzle of Nuvo Crystal Drops on the 'honey' and my card is done!
One of these cards is buzzing over to Leslie right now - but I can't wait another moment to see how she brought our assignment to life!  Let's go!

Thanks so very much, Leslie for Playing Cards!  It was such fun I'll just keep dreaming about playing for real one day!
=] Michele           

21 comments:

Jeanne said...

Oh Michele, your first card is so sweet! I love it. That lil bee just stole my heart. Your second card brought some sweet memories. Bit O Honey was my dad's favorite candy and I'm remembering the twinkle in his eye when he had a piece and his pure enjoyment of it. Your card for this is fantastic. Thank you so much my friend for touching my heart yet again. I'm thrilled you got to play cards! Have a lovely weekend.

Marcia Hill said...

Two FABULOUS cards Michele!! That little bee you used in both cards is so darn CUTE!! The first card is CAS perfection and I do love it, but the 2nd card has my heart! Probably because of the candy...one of my and my middle daughters favorite candy!! I still put it in her stocking every year and she loves it! I don't dare eat it anymore because of my teeth but sure am glad you and Tom have kept all yours!! Loving all the shine and texture on this card too! Already stopped off and saw Leslie's card, and you both have knocked this challenge out of the park! Great job my friend!! Hugs. :0)

HilaryJane said...

Not one, but 2 perfect little cards. Love them both and theres another embossing folder to go on my wish list xx

Leslie Miller said...

Oh, I love your first card, too! That little bee is so stinkin' cute and the embossed flowers are looking sweet. What a pretty folder that is. We seem to be on the same page because that one is on my table right now, too -- along with the candles. Of course, my favorite is the bit o' honey. I recognized the colors right away. LOVE the honey drips and the sentiment on the bit o' honeycomb. I can taste that chewy goodness right now. I haven't seen it in the store lately and I've never seen this packaging. So cute! The teeth on the honeybee are cracking me up! Michele, this was a super fun assignment and I enjoyed the heck out of playing cards with you. Thank you for such kind words, and thanks ever so much for inviting me!

Cat Craig said...

Love the clean feel of your first card and the bold colors inyour second card. It sure looks likeyou had fun playing cards!

Bonnie said...

This bee is ADORABLE and perfect in both settings, Michele! Love the honeycomb and the sweet floral background of the first card and the bold colors of the second! That bee is the happiest in both instances!

Stephanie Lanzalotto said...

How fun is this assignment!! So much to love. THe new SB EF is fabulous, and the perfect setting for your little friend. The candy inspiration is genius, and the part about no broken teeth is hilarious. Great edition of Cards With Friends.

Conniecrafter said...

they are both so cute, like the embossing on each and those tiny bees are too cute. Like the inspiration you got for the second card, and nice no fillings were lost :)

Ida said...

What a fun challenge. - Both of your cards are so cute. I must say the Bit O Honey card though is my favorite. I love the candy and the card!

TK said...

Two cards that are as sweet and adorable as can BEE! Both are fun and a great take on the self-challenge. So fun, and glad you enjoyed the candy before tempting us with it :o)
Off to see Leslie's wonders...

Birgit said...

These are both super cute Michele! I love the colors inspired by Bit 'O Honey. How fun to play cards with Leslie. She's wildly talented!

Kristin Sluhan said...

Bit-O-Honey!?!?! SO good...genius. Love it!!!

Lisa Elton said...

That little bee is too cute! Love the wee bit of honeycomb on the first one and that leaf die made the perfect drip! Both cards are such a treat, Michele. And now I want bit o' honey!

baileyrosy.com said...

Two fabulous cards and both are so different. Love the Casness of the first and your use of texture and the bold bright zingy colours on the second. Thank goodness there were no fillings lost.

Marie

Kim S said...

These are so fun!!! LOVE the first little guy flying out of the embossed floral background. And I haven't seen bit-o-honeys in forever but your card based on the bag is great!

Bobby said...

You got me with the Bit O' Honey, Michele. I love them but haven't see their new packaging. You did a great job recreating that package and the 'honey' drops were a wonderful touch. The first card is indeed cute and sweet and hard to beat.

nancy littrell said...

I remember Bit O' Honey candies as a kid..tasty, but did stick to your teeth:-) I love how you were inspired to make your wonderfully Clean and Simple honey bee and comb 1st card and very different 2nd card that was really influenced by the packaging of the candies. TFS my friend...always wonderful to see all the bees back and being busy little bees as they pollinate our fruit trees and berries, etc:-) Enjoy your gardens, my friend. Love and hugs..Nancy

Brenda said...

What a fun playdate challenge for you and Leslie! Who can resist the cute little bee stamps and dies as well?! Love your first card Michele, it is CAS and just as sweet as it can be! Loving that sweet little bee! I did not know that Bit O' Honey changed their bag look, I've always love Bit O' Honey candy, so yummy! And I am loving your card! So fun, bright colors and it just makes me smile, especially with the little cute bee. Now off to see what Leslie has made. Hugs, Brenda

Karren said...

These cards are fabulous and those wee bees are just the cutest! Great "episode" of Playing With Cards!

Linda Callahan said...

These are sooo sweet! And wow you matched colors perfectly on your second card! Love it!

Lisa Schenck said...

Absolutely Fabulous!