Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Something new?

The Garden Roses from Pinkfresh Studios is a gorgeous set.  I have the stamps, dies, and layering stencils for coloring.   I love the look of layered stenciling - you can see that here on my first playtime with the set.  

But today, I used those layering stencils a bit differently... I'm not sure if this is something new - I've not seen it done before!  You'll let me know if you have, won't you?

Here's a closeup of my card - 


... would you believe I water colored those Garden Roses through the stencils?    

Here's how: 
  1. Start by heat-embossing the outlines onto watercolor card - I used Ranger Princess gold.
  2. I chose three Distress inks to 'paint' with
  3. Grab two blending sponges, and a small dish of water
  4. Smoosh the ink onto an acrylic block, or a palette
  5. Dip the sponge into the water and blot off onto paper towels - you'll quickly know how much water is needed - practice is a good thing - then into one of the inks
  6. Sponge/dab color through the stencils in the proper order - I did NOT use the base stencil 1 today - love that bit of white for a proper watercolor look

I only used one green for both layers of the leaves - 
just used less water for the detail layer.

I used spiced marmalade for the first layer of the roses, and picked raspberry on the second - because I didn't dry between, they married into a lovely peachy color for the shadow layers.


I allowed them to air-dry, then used the coordinating dies to cut them out.  Here is the finished card:

I love my newest frame - Altenew Leaf Frame Cover die!  the sentiment 
if part of the Garden Rose set, and Altenew also makes the Label dies.

So.  Have you seen it, done it, watched someone else do it??  All I know is I hadn't and couldn't wait to share it with all of you - hope you enjoyed and will give it a try!  If you do try it let me know, won't you?  It certainly would work with ANY layering stencil set and might be just the trick for those of you who only think you can't watercolor.  

I have had the gloomiest week weather-wise.  This little stencil-water-coloring did the trick to raise my spirits!  I'm looking forward to the next time already!

=] Michele

25 comments:

HilaryJane said...

How clever, no I have not seen that before and what a lovely effect it creates, well done for thinking of it. I love that leaf frame die in the background, it works a treat. So sorry you have miserable weather, we have sunshine and warmth, it is fabulous, but I shall start to worry about the lack of rain again soon! I am having to water my outside pots in March, unheard of. Hope the sun starts shining for you soon xx

ElizStewart said...

Great technique. Definitely worth a try if I can see results like yours!

conil said...

Raised my spirits, as well, and have never seen this done before. It's sounds like it's really a quick watercoloring technique, especially if you don't dry between and the results are dreamy. Love the way you layered this card, too.

Bonnie said...

This is a new technique to me, Michele! Wow! I've bookmarked it and can't wait to try it. I don't have many layering stencils because I've not been happy with my results. This is exciting and I can't wait to try it! Beautiful results and card, my friend!

Donna Mikasa said...

Wow! This is a Ferguson original! I’ve never seen watercoloring thru a stencil before, only without. Can’t wait to try this for myself!

Bobby said...

I have never heard of or seen this done, Michele, but what a great idea. I have a layering stencil so I will definitely give it a try although I don't have an outline stamp with it. Your card is fabulous and looks like you painted it with a brush.

Lisa Elton said...

Ohhhhh, what a beauty! I haven't seen this technique anywhere, it seems to work like a charm. Love your new frame and the wee bit of golden text I spy inside of it!

Lin said...

Beautiful work, Michele, I hope to give this a try, also!

nancy littrell said...

Gorgeous layered stenciled watercolored flowers, Michele. Awesome way to easily get the depth of layered watercoloring with your layered stencil. You are so clever, mf. TFS Love and Hugs...Nancy

Birgit said...

This is beautiful Michele and so clever of you to do the water coloring through the stencil. The soft colors and design give this a warm vintage feel that is simply lovely!

LeAnne said...

Well, the first time I tried this, it was a total disaster, but after seeing how pretty yours is, maybe I'll give it a go again! Gorgeous!

Vicky Hayes said...

I have watercoloured through a stencil before but have allowed colours to dry before adding other colours so it doesn't run and I've never used a layering stencil set to add diluted ink in the way you have. The result is so pretty and delicate and I love your touches of gold. Vicky x

Marcia Hill said...

I've seen water coloring through single stencils before (maybe a CAS challenge??), but never through the layering stencils, and it's absolutely BEAUTIFUL Michele! I will definitely be trying this out soon!! (I mean, I do have a FEW layering stencils!! Hahaha!!!) Your card is SO pretty and I love that frame too! Totally GORGEOUS card my friend!! Hugs. :0)

Kara Lynne said...

Thanks for introducing this clever technique! Your Garden Roses are gorgeous, and I love the background layer as well!

Cat Craig said...

I have seen watercolor through a stencil, but not a layering one and not with sponges. I think you have something new and unique there. I love the look you achieved. This is one GORGEOUS card. Thanks much for sharing your new find.

Linda Callahan said...

I smoosh water and ink around and get mud…….and you get art! Great technique….beautiful results!

Stef Perry said...

I love this idea Michele! I've never seen this done before and think the results are just beautiful! The colors you used worked perfectly as well! 😍

TK said...

Fabulous! Wow these are gorgeous, Michele. I had thought of using the stencils for watercolor but not the logistics of it, so using the sponge is a fantastic idea!!!

Karren said...

Well, this is so very clever and the end result looks absolutely gorgeous! It's always good to find new uses for our products. Well done!

lostinpaper said...

Gorgeous card Michele and a totally wondeful technique! I've not seen it done like this before but I have painted through a stencil with a brush, which gives a different look too. I will have to try your way as it looks sooo very pretty!

Stephanie Lanzalotto said...

When I go through your blog catching up on comments, I can hardly even bear it by the time I am finished. One amazing creation after another. This card is so gorgeous, and I am so happy that this wonderful new way to watercolor that you came up with and tried lifted your spirits. Art is indeed one of the best medicines. I have to try this. Time is so tight these days. Longing to have lots of time to create from all of this inspiration.

Bernie F said...

This is so soft and pretty! Thank you for sharing this technique! I haven't seen this before!

Vikki H said...

A beautiful result, Michele! I'll keep it in mind for stenciling. I love how it created the peach color too!

Mac Mable said...

Scrolling through your blog and found that I had missed this amazing card....how did that happen??? Thank you for the new to me technique, which looks so pretty. I love the design of your card, with that fabulous leaf frame die and your flowers are absolutely beautiful x. So glad that I hadn't missed this Michele x.

Jeanne said...

Oh my, how beautiful, Michele! You have a wonderful touch with watercolor and this just adds to your repertoire of skills. I love the finished result. I sure hope it raised your spirits. Gloomy looking weather weeks are no fun!