Friday, March 4, 2022

The Flower Challenge #66 - Use Scraps

 

Hello again, friends!  Yes, it's March and I'm ready to march into Spring - how about you??  With Spring comes Spring Cleaning, right??  The Flower Challenge #66 is giving you a leg-up with that this month by encouraging you to USE SCRAPS!  I've been encouraging the use of scraps/snippets for weeks now!  Here are two cards made with little 'scraps' I found in my studio.

You all must know Kathy Racoosin who encourages us to color several times a year.  I don't always get involved, but recently came across two pieces that I never finished or made into cards!  Remedied that today!

This first was a beautiful, stamped image - for the life of me, I cannot remember whose it is, but it reminds me of a Penny Black design - I water colored it with distress inks and tucked it away.  Today, I fussy cut it out, mounted it onto a creamy card base, and added a sentiment that had already been stamped. 


In the same bin, I found this mondo peony [EH] that just didn't make the cut - I worked really hard to make it something I could share using colored pencils, more water coloring - even a bit of Copic coloring.  Lucky me - I didn't completely ruin it before the day was done!  The additional 'scrap' was this background panel made ages ago while attempting a technique over at CAS Mix Up... today I washed over the raised embossed image with leftover ink from the leaves and just loved the result... hope you can see it!

Found that same sentiment had been stamped onto watercolor paper - it comes from
Altenew's Exotic Tulip set which is just where I found these sentiments saved!

SO!  Now it's your turn to find something you found in your 'scrap' or 'snippets' bins and use it on a card or two!  I'm so excited to see what our guest Juhi and my team has made - let's go see, shall we?

=] Michele

21 comments:

Marcia Hill said...

Both of these are show stoppers Michele!! Your Poppies are just GORGEOUS and totally steal the show on this card!! And your 2nd card is FABULOUS too, and I love, LOVE the background! Two beauties for sure my friend!! Hugs. :0)

conil said...

Clearly, I need to upgrade my scraps. These two do not look anything like "used scraps" cards. Both are absolutely beautiful. Love that you fussy cut the first image (looks like PB to me, too) with a "scrap" sentiment. Your second offering is just plain spectacular. Whatever it was before you certainly knew how to enhance it. It's a pure stunner.

Bonnie said...

WOW! This peony card is AWESOME from the flower to the background! These pieces were just waiting for the perfect finish! Love, love, love those red flowers too! So cheerful and fun! Thanks for reminding me to look in my UFOs and see what I can find.

Mac Mable said...

WOW your scraps look amazing Michele....If these where mine they would have already been on a card....lol x.
The poppy card is beautiful, great fussy cutting and eye catching design x.
I absolutely love the muted colours of the second card Michele. The wash over the dry embossed background is perfect and both sentiments have brightened my day....Thank you x.

LeAnne said...

Wow! Just when I think you can't wow me any more than you already have, you come up with these beauties! Stunning!

Cat Craig said...

Two stunners Michele. Your poppies are wonderfully bold and your peony is on another level.

HilaryJane said...

Isn't it funny how when you come across something you had previously discarded because you though it was rubbish, you often think it is quite good and wonder why you didn't use it! so glad you found these scraps as you have made 2 fabulous cards xx

Stef Perry said...

If the items on your cards are mostly from your snippets stash, I bet there are many other treasures equally as wonderful in there, Michele! Your DT card is truly a gorgeous mixed media creation, and I do love the texture and light inking of the background as well. Lots to love with cards!

Linda Callahan said...

You are an amazing artist my friend! Anyone who can go toe to
Toe with Kathy Racoosin has mad
Akills’

Jeanne said...

Goodness! These were found in your unused bin? They are gorgeous! Just gorgeous. I am so glad you found them and showed them off in their fully glory. The peony is stunning and the the background shows it off wonderfully. I really like the sentiment, too. You are such a wonderful artist! My scraps and snippets have never looked this good!

Leslie Miller said...

Yep, those are Penny Black poppies. I have the stamp and love it. Yours are gorgeous! And the Mondo Peony... hold me back! I can't imagine just tucking this away. It's amazing! Your coloring of both is top notch, Michele!

Juhi said...

Both of the cards are absolute stunners!!! I'm so happy you put these gorgeous scraps to use!! That sentiment is lovely too.

Maria Rodriguez. said...

WOW!! isn't amazing what we can find among our scraps? The Peony looks beautiful with that fabulous background, I'm so glad you pair them on this card.

Stay healthy and safe.
XO

Papercraft Boutique said...

I would call your scraps Ferrari Scraps, Michele! Both cards are amazing! You colored the flowers sooo beautifully. I especially love the mondo peony. The richness of the muted colors is fabulous. And the embossed & washed background has so much interest. Now I think about it, the scraps are great by themselves, but your creativity and magic hands made them into Ferraris.
Hideko xx

Lisa Elton said...

You have one pretty scrap bin!! These are incredible!!

Ericka Strange said...

Beautiful card Michele and I love the peony and the beautiful coloring and background. So pretty with a vintage feel.

Unknown said...

WOW! Two beauties that have been awaiting their escape from the snippet pile. The poppies are so beautifully painted The image is so gorgeous, and your coloring just amplifies its beauty. Your watercoloring on the peony is spectacular. the colors are gloriously laid. So realistic. The background only adds to its beauty. I really hope I get a chance to play this one.

Bobby said...

The poppies are Penny Black and I think you borrowed it from me, Michele. You've done a wonderful job watercoloring them and I've pinned it for reference because I have on unfinished.
The peony is absolutely gorgeous. It looks like it took a lot of work to add in all those colors in the nooks and crannies. Kathy would be proud.

Karen Dunbrook said...

more beauty from you mf...thanks a lot for always inspiring
xx Karen

nancy littrell said...

Two beautiful stamped and watercolored floral card designs, Michele. I love how you used your gorgeous scraps, mf. TFS Love and Hugs...Nancy

TaeEun said...

Both are beautiful but the Mondo Peony card is scrumptious! Love the earth colors you used and the contrast in the petals you've achieved!I think the unloved, unfinished panels sometimes look much better after a while :) !