Thursday, May 23, 2024

A [layered] flower by another name?

It's so wonderful having all of you to inspire my crafty time even when I'm alone you each take turns 'sitting on my shoulder' saying try this color!  why not do this?  embossing would be great here! 

When I last played with that wonderful new Elegant Peony die set from Alex Syberia Designs, Therese's thoughts on changing up one layering floral die set to make another whispered in my ear... here is that Peony I shared on Monday - the way ASD intended it:


Now look closely... do you see it?  A gorgeous Iris!  by using just 
the last four layers!
Okay, I changed up the leaves from an older Altenew Iris set but I had to make them 
white in honor of those I inherited from Tom's grandma.  
Now. See that background?


Guess what I did with all the ink I mopped up from that COLORFUL MONDAY
day of inking?  Yep, that's it in the background!

It's a trick I learned years ago from Loll and her CAS Mix Up team.  When you are
done with the ink, simply mop it up with a baby wipe, or paper towel!

I took mine while wet straight onto a piece of Neenah #110 card, tucked it into this
Spellbinders Leafy 3D embossing folder...


...ran that through my Sizzix Switch and BOOM:


Peel the baby wipe off and let that panel dry.  When completely dry it's pretty easy to realign it in that folder if you need to reinforce the pattern.


So, will YOU be looking twice at your own floral layering dies?  Did you see that Iris as I did?  Watch Therese change up a Magnolia HERE

I'd love it if you shared your changeup with me!  
=] Michele

16 comments:

Cat Craig said...

Cool techniques and beautiful cards, Michele.

Dotty Jo said...

Amazing cards, Michele. I love my miniature white irises vey much, Jo x

HilaryJane said...

Simply beautiful. Thanks for the tips. It can be hard to look at supplies with a different eye. I think it takes practice and I need much more of it xx

JoAnn said...

Great technique and beautiful cards. I really love the 2nd one with the "mopped up" background.

lostinpaper said...

I forgot to say that that the baby wipe technique is a doozy, I MUST remember that one... trouble is I don't have baby wipes but I do have paper towel! ps love the white iris too. Just HAD to come back and re-comment lol

Bobby said...

I was impressed with how Therese did her flowers and you did her proud with yours, Michele. I looked at mine briefly but haven't found one yet to do that with. I love your background and that white iris is spectacular.

Lisa Elton said...

I DO see your beautiful iris! That's a nifty background too. I need to remember that trick!

Loll said...

Beautiful iris die-cut, Michele. Always great when you can use a die in a different way. This is so pretty over your mop-up and embossed background. xx

Bonnie said...

That mop up sure made a pretty background, Michele! And I love how you found an iris in that flower! The white iris is exquisite with that background!

Marcia Hill said...

Beautiful!!! No, I didn't see the Iris in the Peony, but I'm glad you did Michele! I don't think my brain works like that...I take everything so literally. I love your soft colored and embossed background...it's a perfect landing spot for your lovely, lovely Iris! Hugs. 😊❤️

Jeanne said...

Both cards are beautiful, Michele. I see an Iris. We have a bumper crop here in my neck of the woods this year. Some are pretty white ones, too. :) Have a great day!

TK said...

Love, love, love! I love your bright and bold and I SPOT ON saw the iris, as you did (though I only believe I did because you set me up to look)! I also adore the "mop up" technique, but I have yet to do it -- maybe I can get a moment this weekend. HOWEVER -- wow on that last one! Be still my heart, it's gorgeous, and I too have some inherited white iris but mine are a bit different. Remind me upon your return and I'll zip you a photo...!

Linda Callahan said...

Total wow! What an amazing technique! I adore the white flower against your background.....fabulous!

Leslie Miller said...

I absolutely DO see the iris and it's gorgeous! I'm a bit smitten with that soft and lovely background, too. Your card is every inch a beauty!

Darlene said...

Such a clever technique (that I had totally forgotten about ... thanks for the reminder) and it made a GORGEOUS embossed background! Again ... you are SO CREATIVE! Love coming to your blog to see what you have up your sleeve next!! Both cards are FABULOUS!

baileyrosy.com said...

Another amazing technique that I really must try this, the result is stunning and makes you feel better not throwing away all that leftover ink on the baby wipe.

Marie