Thursday, February 12, 2015

CAS(E) This Sketch #110

To say I love Leigh Penner's cards is a total understatement... I ADORE Leigh's style.  So here is her sketch for this week:

Hmmm... is a one-layer card required? 
one might ask.
 
Why is that such a challenge for me?  Is it for you, too?  Well, without further ado, I give you CTS #110..... a layered card :/
 
 
This little artichoke stamp is an oldie-but-goodie, but found a home way back when, as I started my catering company and it quickly became my logo.  Here's why:
 
The artichoke is a pain in the behind to clean, and prepare - it pokes, and stains and there isn't much that is left when the prep is done. But MAN is that a delicious bite, right?  SO.. it became my mantra... "getting to the heart of it." To prepare a menu, figure portions, shop, store, clean, prepare, cook, serve, all in a timely manner, and then clean it all up?  Very hard work, a total pain in the behind... but when the end is near, and your hosts, and their guests tell you what they loved about it? That makes it all worth while.
 
Like struggling with a design that just doesn't come together, and then.. hey - I like that there, and if it said that!  Wouldn't that be a great "feeling better?" card?  One day you may send it to someone, and they may call you and say it did, in fact, make them feel better. Such joy.
 
Enough said.
 
 
  

19 comments:

Lisa Elton said...

What a great story about the artichoke and your catering!! This is a cute card, love the soft lilac and fun sentiment!

Leigh Penner said...

Oh, this is so sweet -- and you are, too, my friend!
I love your fun take on the sketch!

Happy Dance said...

Leigh's work IS amazing, isn't it just?! But so is yours. I think I fell right in love with your style when I first saw it, but your paper artichoke on your counter set it in stone! This card is just a delight. Love the lavendery shade of your cs, and the sweet artichoke itself in it's layeredy colors. Wonderful card! Sweet! Bev

Chriss Blagrave said...

Gorgeous CAS Michele. LOVE the pale plum textured CS and the beautiful coloured tips of the artichoke, like a halo. Another amazing creation friend!

Bobby said...

Love it times 2, Michele. The multicolored artichoke is darling and of course, I can't forget to mention the sentiment. Computer generated?

Cat Craig said...

Lovely story to go along with your adorable card.

Sharron said...

Very pretty card and fun sentiment--love the lavender color! Enjoyed your fun post!

Kristie Goulet said...

LOVED reading your story and seeing this gorgeous card. Love the inking on the artichoke, what did you use? wow!!! Great sentiment too. :) Happy Friday!!!

~amy~ said...

This is so fun...and that artichoke image is fabulous.

Brenda said...

I love this card Michele, it's simplicity is amazingly beautiful and your take on the sketch is spot on! But what I really loved was reading your story! Catering is hard work, it's a lot of work. Although I never catered, I worked for a deli that did catering and I saw all the work and prep that went into it. I know too how it feels when someone tells you how much they loved the food, as I did party trays so when someone told me they loved my tray I was very pleased I please them. lol So a card is exactly the same thing, when a card you make makes someone's day, well then you know you did good! I think this card will make someone's day!! Hugs, Brenda

Kim Heggins said...

Love your card...just love it.

Shona Chambers said...

I'm such an 'Okey Dokey' girl and use that phrase all the time, so I'm just loving this card. To be honest, I've never tasted artichoke and don't think I ever will, so will have to take your word for it on taste. I do love the way they look though and watching people dip their leaves and eat them.

Anita in France said...

So cute, Michele, and a great sentiment! Loved your story ... ANYONE receiving one of your cards would always feel as though their day had been brightened ... it's a given! Anita :)

donna mikasa said...

What a fab story, paired with an awesome take on the sketch! I think I still have an old Hero Arts artichoke stamp, too, but would you believe I've never eaten one? An artichoke AND a stamp. ;)

Marybeth said...

What a great little insight of you, Michele! Loved reading your post and I love this card... and we both have very healthy food ! :)

wienerhoneymooners said...

FUN and creative take!!!

My Card Attic: Hazel said...

LOVE that whimsical sentiment and the design is terrific! Thanks for the inspiration over at CAS(E) This Sketch! Hazel xx

Taunya Butler said...

This is punny and so fun!! what a great take on the sketch and just such a smile bringing card!!!

cm said...

Your card is sheer delight, and paired with the charming insight into what you do, it's elevated to heart-warming! I agree with Brenda: catering is challenging work, but your passion...oh my! Motivating and inspiring! All the lives you touch - be it through your cards or your catering or friendship - are enriched simply by you being YOU! You've most certainly added much to my life!
Hugs~c