Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Playing Cards with Friends - February 2023

Hello, my friends!  I am so happy to introduce my February 2023 Playing Cards with Friends guest!  Nancy Penir and I were teamies on the 12 Kits of Occasions group for years and are teammates once again at The Flower Challenge!  

I hold such admiration of her talent for layering tons of gorgeousness on her cards and knowing the perfect moment to 'say when!'  Please spend a bit of your precious time perusing Nancy's blog [Artful Notions] and her Instagram page @nancypenir - you will see very quickly that Nancy has a way with every technique she puts her heart to!

Are you ready for our assignment?  it's Random Act of Kindness Day! on Friday! 

  • Make a card for a neighbor and deliver it!
  • Flowers are always appreciated - let's make ours die-cut flowers!
  • Patterned paper must be included, and of course a 'kind' sentiment.
I quickly reached for this gorgeous layering die set from Altenew...

                      

I found wonderful little snippets of cardstock from The Stamp Market, a pretty pink panel cut with a favorite Winnie & Walter die, and a ribbon 
strip from The Greetery that worked a charm for my 
'Nancy-inspired' card - and then it happened...



 I realized I hadn't used patterned paper!!!  Back to the drawing board!
I grabbed that W&W panel die and cut another from this sweet gingham from Honey Bee Stamps - of course, I NEVER make the same card twice ...


I just loved that teensy little bit of kraft on my first attempt, so I looked for 
a second chance to add it!  In my search through my stash of embellishments, I found these darling little clay hearts to add to my flutterby's wings! 

The sentiment comes from a very old Concord & 9th set - lucky for me, it included this die-cut sentiment, too.  A little clear embossing gives it just the tone-on-tone look I was looking for =]  


So, even though I totally goofed up, I now have a card for my neighbor Dee who lost her husband a few years ago, and a second card to send to my friend, Nancy! 

Nancy, I can't wait to see your card - and to invite everyone to join me!  If they don't already, they'll soon love and admire your talent just as much as I do!  Thanks so very very much for Playing Cards with me today!  It's been way too long!

Thanks for stopping by today sweet friends!  You are ALL the kindest people I know!

=] Michele 

Card #1 sentiment is from The Stamp Market set called Bell Flower; that little tag and butterfly are from that W&W set - no longer available, sorry.

21 comments:

Nancy Penir said...

Oh no!!! Shoot, patterned paper??? I flunked! Well, there's always your 2 gorgeous lovelies! Honestly, I love the first one (sans pattern paper) the best. Truly a MF beauty! Thank you sweet friend. What a hoot playing. cards across the miles. Of course, I'm back to the drawing board/craft room to augment my post... PATTERN PAPER! Coming up! Hugs!

LeAnne said...

Both cards are wonderful! The deep rich colors and the pretty backgrounds are perfect for a friendship card! Those flowers are drop-dead stunning!

Marcia Hill said...

It was a happy accident with the dsp Michele, as we got to see TWO cards instead of just one, and I'm loving both of them, although maybe the one without dsp just a tiny bit more! Your roses are just absolutely BEAUTIFUL and that tiny heart tag on the first card just really takes my heart...LOVE it! Glad you and Nancy got to play...you both made STUNNING cards!! Hugs. :0)

Anonymous said...

Both are so lovely and extra special with that touch of kraft & kraft-like tone. You made the right patterned paper choice, as well.

Bobby said...

I love your 'same but different' cards, Michele. That rose is gorgeous and you've added such wonderful layers and sentiments.

Birgit said...

both of these cards are stunning and brilliant in design Michele! Your boo-boo was to our benefit as we get to enjoy more of your genius work. I adore the sweet little kraft butterfly with heart wings.... oh my!! The layered flower is gorgeous and I'm loving the ribbon strips. I didn't get any of those dies and now I'm kicking myself so much it hurts. ;0)

Vikki H said...

Look at you, breaking your own rules and coming out with two winners! That rose is stunning, the kraft elements perfect, and the idea of kind cards inspiring!

Leslie Miller said...

Oh boy, oh joy! Two beauties to enjoy in one post! I love the little charm on your first card and the hearts on the wings of your second card. Those little things are often what I notice first. Of course, there are many details of loveliness on every inch of each card. Your cards, like Nancy's, are always just perfect!

Susanbcards said...

Aw, happy mistake, you have 2 beautiful cards!

lostinpaper said...

Both versions are brilliant Michele... would you believe I have been 'ginghaming' myself today (we must be kinda like twins)!

Brenda said...

I'm looking at your gorgeous card and thinking...."what happened?!" It looked perfect to me. I didn't even notice you didn't use any pattern paper. LOL I was knocked over by that stunning flower, beautiful mats and the tiny tag and sentiment! Man that is one gorgeous card! Now, I'm not saying card number 2 isn't gorgeous too, it is equally gorgeous, especially with that pink plaid. And I adore that butterfly with those cute little clay hearts on its wings. But the first card just took my breath away for some reason. Love them both though. Now I'm off to see Nancy's card. Hugs, Brenda

Bonnie said...

You have a lucky neighbor, my friend! Love the colors of this gorgeous flower and how it plays with the pink background! Lovely die cuts in the background as well as that dimensional flower! I love the tiny tag and butterfly that are such a fun little extra something.

Lisa Elton said...

Yay for playing cards with Nancy! You've channeled her so well, my friend! While both versions are simply marvelous, I'm particularly fond of the second version. The gingham and that sweet little butterfly won me over!

TK said...

Beautiful cards! I love both, and I too noticed that little kraft tag right off. Now I'm off to peruse at Nancy's

Jeanne said...

Oh my goodness, Michele, these are gorgeous. And to think we wouldn't have the second beauty if you hadn't realized the "mistake" on the first one. You are remarkable and so are your cards. Thank you SO much for sharing your time and talents.

ElizStewart said...

fabulous playing with friends challenge!!

Linda Callahan said...

Not goof ups here at all….just two smashing stylish cards!

Jeanne H said...

Love both of these cards. Great way to use up some pattered paper!

Papercraft Boutique said...

Thanks to your forgetting to use patterned paper, we got to see TWO beautiful cards, Michele. Is this your act of kindness? ;-)
Both layered roses are gorgeous! I love you inserted a white ribbon strip under the rose, and added a tiny Kraft element to the cards. The dangling heart tag is especially cute, and perfect for a kindness card.
Off to Nancy's blog to see what she created!
Hideko xx

Cat Craig said...

Both are gorgeous and I can see Nancy's spirit in the card. Well done.

Stephanie Lanzalotto said...

Two gorgeous cards with such wonderful details, especially that sweet little heart tag. Though I love them both, the second with gingham won my heart.