Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Playing cards with Chriss Blagrave!

Before you get really excited, no, I'm not in Austin, Texas - in my dreams - but I am playing cards with my sweet friend today... here is how this happened:

Chriss Blagrave, of Botanical Café, and I began having phone-chats last November. Over our coffee this morning, I asked her if she'd seen Donna Mikasa's fabulous card for MFT - an homage to a beautiful card by Karin Akesdotter's beauty here.  After heaps of gushing - both of us wondering "how do they do this?" - we decided to challenge ourselves!!! 

I thought about the lovely MFT Balloon String background stamp they used, and knew I had several stamp sets with strings but some had words and sentiments... hmmm, could they work? 
Attempt #1:


 Kinda okay - I liked the frame, as Karin had done, the white heat embossing I love ... but it's missing all those lovely spaces created by the cross-over strings.  Which brought me back to a search of my stamp-stash to a very old American Crafts stamp collection called Terrace - one lonely string stamp, and a whole lot of Versa-mark stamping later:

Attempt #2
 
I loved Donna's ocean creation with all the waves colored in many shades of gorgeous colors. Karin's rolling hills, and plains brought our recent holiday to mind:  Purple mountains Majesty, Waves of Grain, and many wonderful memories.
 
I hope that Donna and Karin see these and know that they have been CASE'd today.  Thanks for inspiring me, and Chriss, to try something out of our comfort zone! Love you girls, and your fabulous designs! 
 
So, there you go, Chriss! I can't wait to open the link for your cards!!!  Thanks so much for playing cards with me today!  One day we will do it for reals - I promise!!!
Mwah!
 
How about you guys?  Is there a card that you'd like to CASE?  I'd be overjoyed to play cards with you, too - any day of the week - just let me know!  
 
=]Michele
 
 


24 comments:

Chriss Blagrave said...

Perfection dear! You really achieved those colours on the second card. Just in awe here...

It was such a fun time making these "string" cards! I do hope we get to play cards for realz one day! For now...this will have to do :)
XOX

Hannelie said...

Awesome Michele!

designbydonna said...

I have been admiring Donna's and Karin's cards too. You aced this challenge. I especially like the second one. You've inspired me to try this.. I'll hop on over to Chriss's blog and check hers out.

Jacquie Southas said...

I love both versions, Michele!!

donna mikasa said...

Bravo, Michele! Plus added props for using a stamp that you already owned! I LOVE both renditions and now I want to CASE your colors! Thanks so much for the shout out and the CASE....I'm blushin'!!! Hugs! XOXOXO

Taunya Butler said...

This is awesome and both cards toe the line!!!! I think you have done a super awesome, stupendous job in this CASEing!! Love both cards and the colors featured in both - so creative!!

~amy~ said...

How fun, love friendly challenges amongst friends and what gorgeous cards....

Kristie Goulet said...

Oh wow! I knew when we were chatting on the phone that you would totally ROCK this CASE and I was right! LOVE how these turned out my friend. xoxo

Lisa Petrella said...

You go, girls!!! Love how your cards turned out! Kudos for stretching your creative selves!!! And thanks for the inspiration!

Barb Ghig said...

What a great idea, Michele! Your first attempt is so pretty, and your 2nd card is GORGEOUS!!! I love the colors and how you blended your inks, and the black die cut sentiment and card base are the perfect finish...WOW!
I would love to 'play cards' with you sometime...let me think about who I would like to CASE, and I'll be in touch :)
By the way, I had so much going on this week, so I lost out on creating for the Muse Christmas challenge...you sure nailed it, though!!!

Nora Noll said...

I LOVE both your beautiful cards. The first attempt is so pretty with the colors and how you used those fun sentiments. The second card really stands out, though. Beautiful CASE!!

Sharron said...

Awesome job on both these beauties, Michele! Your first card is a really fun design with the sentiments and added enamel dots. And I love the colors on card two. Fabulous sentiment too!

Darnell said...

What a fun game of cards you played with the fabulous Chriss! You both did really fantastic cards CASEing Donna! I'm sure she will be very honored!! Hugs, Darnell

Karin Åkesdotter said...

These are AWESOME Michele!!! I absolutely LOVE both - such wonderful use of colors - you are so talented!

Hugs!

Cat Craig said...

Love both cards Michele, they are spectacular. I think you did your designers proud.

Anita in France said...

Yes, I swooned over Donna's and Karin's cards, Michele ... and now I'm swooning over both of yours! Wonderful movement with and without the sentiments ... and such delicious colours ... just gorgeous! Playing cards over the phone with Chriss ... how fabulous ... dreaming over the concept of a conference call!! Hugs, Anita :)

Anonymous said...

So, once again you have had me travelling all over blogland oohing and aahing over stunning cards! Boy, have you CASEd to perfection. Donna and Karin would be thrilled to see your handiwork!! Loving those criss-cross undulating lines. Mesmerising. So lovely...

Joyce said...

What a fun idea you and Criss had. I love both of your cards, and especially the last one. I think I am going to head over to those links to see just how you both were inspired.

Michelle said...

My jaw just hit the ground when I came to your second card, Michele! WOW!!! The first card is beautiful, too, but that second one is superb!

Michelle said...

Oh, and I'd play cards with you any day! After your effort this time I may be a little intimidated, though. ;-)

shirley-bee said...

Wonderful! Especially the second one, looks like a landscape. Off to look at Chrisss's cards.

Lisa Elton said...

Wowza, how GREAT are these!!!

cm said...

Gasp! Okay, two more #1 cards vying for 'favourite' status! Blown away by card one, while the second: breath taking. I can't even fathom how you created that one with what you described as one 'single' string stamp. How about a tutorial...photos? Video? I need answers to the mystery! Pretty please? Huh...pretty, pretty please! True artistry showcased here...
Hugs~c

Marion said...

Both cards are wonderful Michele :)