Wednesday, March 15, 2023

Playing Cards with Friends - March 2023

I'm back to introduce a fellow card maker whose skills go beyond cards, let me tell you!  If you are an Instagram-er do yourself a favor and follow @lisacardmaker - just wait until you see her skills with a crochet hook!

I'm Playing Cards with my friend Lisa of Happy Hello Studio who I met over a LIVE video chat at Therese Calvird's YouTube channel - nothing more fun than meeting new people who share your hobby.  When you find out they only live a few states away, it's even better!  One day we'll start road-tripping again, I just know it!

So!  I had a browse through all the National Holidays in March and wanted to celebrate something besides corned beef and cabbage!  

I stumbled upon a celebration in honor of Madame Marie Curie - guess what they use to symbolize her?  DAFFODILS!  It was a done deal!  Find out all about the Great Daffodil Appeal Day here.

All that to say here is our very easy and fun assignment:

Make a 'feel better' card with a daffodil - 
any daffodil will do, any number, any style you'd like!
OH, wouldn't it be nice to send it to someone who needs a pick-me-up?

Didn't I have the luck of the Irish having just received a new [to me] one from Altenew?  You may have seen it last week but this time I'm treating the line art to layered stamping!  I was inspired [as I am always] by the illustrations Altenew provides in their packaging.  Here are the unusual colors they suggested:


pssst if your layering isn't quite perfect you'd be amazed what a little colored pencil can do!


My card measures 4x7 inches - weird size but it fits in a No. 10 envelope!


A flower with so many names: Daffodil, Narcissus, even Jonquil - can be beautiful in any color, too!  I found the most wonderful Salmon cardstock from The Stamp Market was a perfect match and was even prettier embossed with this Spellbinder folder.  You'll see just a whisper of green on my sentiment label - sometimes creating custom cardstock can lead to something a little unexpected!

Lisa, you are such a doll to accept my invitation to Play Cards!  I've blathered on long enough - it's time to dash over to your blog and invite all my friends to join me!  See you soon - and thanks, friends for stopping by today!

=] Michele    

14 comments:

Linda Callahan said...

I love the unexpected color of your daffodils! You can color in any medium girl! Beautiful! Now off to check out your partner’s creation!

Anonymous said...

WOW!! This is absolutely GORGEOUS Michele!! I just love the colors you used and adding the colored pencils to add a bit more shading makes these Daffodils even more realistic!! Love, LOVE this card!!! 🌷❤️

Leslie Miller said...

Your daffodils can be any color you want, and they sure do look beautiful on the tall card with embossed border. Your color layering looks perfect to me. Thank you for the introduction to Lisa, too!

HilaryJane said...

Amazing, loving that colour. Loving that embossing folder too. It would never occur to me to make daffodils anything other than yellow. It works though. I think I need to be more adventurous, which is probably the story of my life! xx

lostinpaper said...

It just had to be daffodils (lucky for you my friend) lol. LOVE your choice of colour and beautiful colouring! I'm skipping over to see Lisa, how exciting that you met her at a Live!!

Lisa Elton said...

Your salmon daffodils are delightful and I love the way the fill your slimline card! Loving that EF too!

Jeanne said...

Your card is stunning, Michele. What a gorgeous Salmon color. Love the embossing and the detail in the daffodils. What a neat bit of background about Marie Curie, too. Thanks so much for sharing and enlightening us. Your friend makes some cute crochet items, too!

Cat Craig said...

Hi Michele, what an unusual color but wow it works! Love the card size it lets that daffodil shine.

Bonnie said...

I LOVE these coral daffodils or narcissus flowers, Michele! So bright and pretty! Although I love the yellow ones, I'd love to have a garden with these mixed in with the yellow ones! Wow!

Bobby said...

I'd love a garden filled with coral daffodils. They fill your card beautifully, Michele, and I can't believe you had just the perfect cardstock to compliment them. That little touch of green on the label is unexpected and very artsy.

Brenda said...

Wow, loving your card Michele! The daffodils are just stunning in those ink colors. They will always be called daffodils my me. LOL I am also loving the salmon cardstock as it does match your gorgeous daffodils perfectly! The card size is fabulous, loving this size more than the regular slimline so much better! Hugs, Brenda

Stephanie Lanzalotto said...

Breathtakingly beautiful. The color is amazing, and I do love that little green smudge on the tag...

Papercraft Boutique said...

Lovely daffodils in shades of coral color, Michele! The color of the pretty embossed strip is a perfect match to the flowers. Love the fresh idea of adding a whisper of green to the setnitment label!
Hideko xx

TK said...

Really gorgeous! Such unexpected colors, and yet so pretty - your new acquisition worked wonders for this challenge