Saturday, October 9, 2021

CAS Mix Up - October 2021 - Botanical Prints

 

Surprise!  I don't normally post on the weekend, but made an exception today because I couldn't wait to share the success I had with leaf pressing for the 

I was having a phone-chat about this challenge from Bonnie with my friend Bobby when I remembered my gorgeous Coleus plants on my front porch!  How could they not be the perfect choice for trying out this leaf-printing technique?  I have two varieties - today I chose the bright chartreuse with purple veining... of course one loses lots of the color when pressing, so here is a few shots of my plants PRE-pressing!

I have THREE of these pots - my coleus were SO huge this year!
Here is a little perspective:


Okay enough - you came for the card[s] right?
I had so much fun I had to make three... it's amazing what you get from just putting leaves between two pieces of water color card, and running them through your die-cutting machine!  But beware!  It can be a little messy!


A very simple card - I thought just ONE of the leaves would be gorgeous 
for a custom postage stamp!  
Waffle Flower Crafts Nesting Postage dies are such a perfect set to reach for.  
You'll see a few bits of the actual leaves but I don't mind it!  As a side note:  I recently purchased my first ink from Pigment Craft Co.: Sage is the most beautiful grey-green I've found on the market - and it stamps like a dream!

Sugared Lavender from Catherine Pooler accentuated the purple of the veins quite nicely!
My first time stamping this gorgeous set from The Greetery with all the best postmarks, and messages.

My next pressings took on more of the veining as I left it overnight...


There's that lavender again, used with a fun die cut word from Pigment Craft Co. set  called Dashing Sentiments stamps and dies.  

I couldn't help but think this would make a beautiful gift set of cards... three is a good number for a set... this is a sweet little thank you 
that measures 4.5 x 3.5 inches!

I used a favorite embossing folder from SU to add just the finest detail without
 disturbing my pressing one bit!  Look!  You can still see the veining beautifully.
A sweet little vellum die cut postage stamp was a good place for the sentiment.

Now comes the hard part - which one to share with the ladies at CAS Mix Up?
You'll have to go over to their gallery to see!  And while there, how's about playing along, too?  You'll find plenty of links for instruction at their blog!
=]  Michele

Supplies:
Pigment Craft Co. ink, and sentiment dies
Waffle Flower Craft Co. Nesting Postage dies
Catherine Pooler ink:  Sugared Lavender
The Stamp Market:  Blush dye ink
Stampin' Up Subtle Texture embossing folder
The Greetery: Pretty Postmarks [with a very old 5 cents stamp from Wplus9]
Dessert Storm card stock
Fabriano Hot Press 25% Cotton watercolor paper

27 comments:

Leslie Miller said...

Ahhhh, so softly beautiful and so many interesting things about this post. You had me looking at your links... I get into trouble that way. Love that you added ink to the leaves. A pretty idea that I will have to try. Also, I didn't learn until later about letting the leaves sit in the cardstock for a while. Will have to try that, too. Thank you, Michele, for your inspiring share at CAS Mix Up!

HilaryJane said...

You obviously have a way with coleus plants, they are stunning and what a good choice for your pressing. Love all three of your cards. Can't choose a favourite. I still haven't tried pressing. Must find time to change that xx

Cat Craig said...

Wow...that is a gorgeous set. It may be the season or more likely just the beauty of your set that I find so soothing. Fabulous.

Loll said...

Gorgeous prints from your coleus plant, Michele! It's the way you finished the prints with such perfect stamped elements and shaped die-cutting. Three gorgeous cards that make a lovely gift. Thanks for sharing with us at CAS Mix Up!

Vicki Dutcher said...

Way cool cards! I’m still debating on that ink…. I sure do love the colors 😀

donna mikasa said...

Totally mesmerized by these beauties! A tutorial would be most appreciated—pretty please?! And you had me at postage stamp : ]

Bonnie said...

Oh, my, Michele! How did you choose? All of these are gorgeous, my friend! Love the postage stamp set and the colors you've used to accent all your leaves! Thanks so much for sharing with us at CAS Mix Up!

Ros Crawford said...

I am completely in love with your first card!! They are all beautiful but I'm a sucker for anything postage. Definitely a winner here Michele... Oh and your porch... To die for!

Michele K. Henderson said...

Your cards are beautiful and so are your coleus! What a nice, lush display! These postage themed cards are absolutely beautiful. I love the soft, subtle colors and the prettyblayered look.
Take Care!
Michele

Jeanne said...

Amazing! From start to finish. You are skilled in so many areas, Michele. Wow!

Marcia Hill said...

All 3 are absolutely BEAUTIFUL cards Michele!! Never would have thought of using a Coleus leaf (I get too literal and tend to think of leaves from trees) but I just LOVE how lovely all 3 turned out! Tying them all in with a postage stamp theme was a great idea too! Beautiful, beautiful cards my friend...you aced this challenge!! Hugs. :0)

conil said...

Am I delighted that you joined the CAS Mix Up gallery? Oh boy, am I! Had to go over and see which one you added because I couldn't decide which was one I like more. Gorgeous pressing of the leaves...the color, though muted, looks amazing and the veining is so clear. Beautiful set you've made.

Maureen Morton said...

Your porch is soooo inviting! And I am thrilled with this technique, but I have a "black thumb: when it comes to plants. I may have to raid a neighbor's garden. I've never seen anything like this and appreciate this unique inspiration.

Lisa Elton said...

Wowee are these ever pretty! I remember our phone conversation about your Coleus plants. You sure put them to good use. I love the first one with the postal elements. I also love the sage ink!

Bobby said...

These turned out fabulous, Michele. I tried a number of different things including a Coleus leaf but I forgot to add another mixed media element unless die cutting counts. I have to take pictures so I can post them.

Mac Mable said...

What a stunner of a 'Grey' porch and Coleus plant Michele and then I scrolled down and continued to be stunned even further.
The technique looks fabulous and has produced the most beautiful and unique cards x. Great postage design on the first, wonderful veining on the second and a really cute third one.
Yes they would make the most amazing gift set of cards and your three fit the bill perfectly Michele x. Love your porch and loving these cards x.

Brenda said...

Well there is an idea I've never thought about, but then anything I do is rarely thought about or my idea. lol These are amazing cards Michele, my favorite being the first one, but am in love with them all! The prints you got are so detailed and beautiful. Your coleus are stunning, I brought home some from school from a teacher when I was a kid and planted them and got hug ones like yours too. Love coleus! Aren't they colors just gorgeous?! You paired the right inks to go with these prints too, just gorgeous! It's one thing to do the print, but another thing to make them into such gorgeous cards...you never fail to awe me lady! Hugs, Brenda

Karren said...

Wow, just wow! These cards are all amazing! The leaf prints with the postage stamp dies are the perfect combo. And your plant looks gorgeous!

Papercraft Boutique said...

A gorgeous trio of the leaf print cards, Michele! The colors and details of the leaves are transferred to the watercolor paper so beautifully! The Sage and Lavender inks are the perfect choices for the prints.
I'm surprised to see that the veins show clearly even with dry embossing (Card 3).
Your Coleus plants are gorgeous and big!! Thanks for sharing the pictures.
Hideko xx

Christine Alexander said...

gorgeous leaf prints, it's so captivating seeing how each leaf leaves it's print. Love them all ♥

nancy littrell said...

Three beautiful and creative botanical stamped leaves cards, Michele. Your postage stamp theme for a notecard set turned out perfectly. TFS your beauties and detailed descriptions and...links, my friend. So pleased you joined us at CAS Mix Up. Love and Hugs...Nancy

lostinpaper said...

Amazing results Michele, I adore your cards.... did you put the leaves back (wink)

Viv said...

Beautiful makes Michele. Hard to pick one I like best but the first one with it's beautiful soft colour scheme and it's fab die postage stamp just shades it for me! x

Michelle said...

Michele! That's amazing! I've never heard of this technique and I am so curious to try it. Your coleus plant is superb, and it's friend the white geranium is the perfect companion in that pot. Your cards are gorgeous.

Karen Dunbrook said...

these turned out fab!!
love using that technique.
xx Karen

TaeEun said...

Wow! The coleus leaves look beautiful and so soft pressed on the paper! Love the ethereal look!

conil said...

Somehow I just knew your CAS Mix Up card would be singled out for excellence. Congratulations.