Sunday, July 25, 2021

Playing Cards with Friends - Christmas in July!

Hello, friends!  It's time for another Playing Cards with Friends session.  But before I introduce July's friend, allow me to introduce our newest bird-family members:


Meet two of the five new Tree Swallow nestlings, at two weeks old, 
about a week before they left the nest box!  
They are now flying solo, and learning to hunt bugs on-the-fly with their parents!


Ask, and you shall receive!


Now, back to my Christmas in July guest...

My July card-playing friend is Jen Shears, a wonderful friend, and card-maker, who blogs at Jen Shears Designs.  Most often Jen can be found posting on Instagram @jen_shears where you'll be treated to very cute cards, but let me tell you - this girl has a green-thumb, too! Be sure to follow her there, I envy her cut-flower garden - and the friends and neighbors who receive her most wonderful bouquets!

When Jen accepted my invitation to play cards, I couldn't have been more happy to plan our Christmas in July theme with these parameters:

We will both use Papertrey Ink's Two Feet Deep 
with Red, and Kraft as our main colors, 
and one of the PTI Limitless Layer sets!

OKAY!  With those three things in mind, I headed into my craft studio and completely forgot the last guideline: Limitless Layers!!!  UGH!  But it's too cute not to share, and there's always room for one more Christmas card, right? 

Studio Katia European Window die, with a few hand-cut snow drifts of vellum.

So, back to the drawing board I went! My friend Jen is a downhill skier - how could I not use these darling skis from that set?  AND I remembered the Layers!  Sadly, this set of layer dies is no longer available.  sorry.


Hmmm.  I wonder if Jen will use the skis, too?  Let's not wonder any longer!  Join me, as I head over to visit Jen's blog here.  

Thanks so very much, Jen!  I sure hope we can make our dream of card-playing together for reals happen one day - I cannot wait to come back to the PNW - and appreciate you keeping 'my room' at the ready!  wink! xx

=]  Michele

I used MFT Natural cardstock as my 'white', and Neenah Desert Storm as my kraft.
Here are the inks used today:

26 comments:

Maureen Morton said...

Oh......these photos of the birdie family are fantastic! I can almost hear the chirps. And, love the warm and cozy feel of these great cards! Thanks for sharing and have a great week!

conil said...

Awesome...both cards are awesome. Just love them and they're perfect in red and kraft. Plus, you have two more Christmas cards for your stash.

jen said...

Oh my friend!! Those babies are darling! And your cards are beyond amazing!! I’m glad I wasn’t the only one that forgot layers😂
I am definitely keeping this set out as I love the skis and snowshoes and they didn’t get any love this round! Thank you so much for the invite to play cards with you- so lucky to have your sweet inspiration and friendship!!

jen said...

I am definitely keeping this set out as I love the skis and snowshoes and they didn’t get any love this round! Thank you so much for the invite to play cards with you- so lucky to have your sweet inspiration and friendship!!

LeAnne said...

Ack! Your cards are adorable, but those swallows! TOO cute! How did you get such great close-up shots? Amazing!

Nora Noll said...

What lovely cards you created!! I love the pretty colors you used on them. The little birds are just too cute!!! I love your photos. Do you have a "bird camera" there it catch these shots? They seem so close!!

We need to play cards in August, my friend. Lets make a date!!

Mac Mable said...

Ohhh what adorable tree swallows and great photography Michele x.
Wonderful winter wonderland scene on your first card and so glad you shared it. Such a thoughtful and fabulous card for Jen and her love of down hill skiing x. Always good to 'craft' with friends x.

Lisa Elton said...

I know a fellow bird lover who would love to photograph your newest family members! Layers or no layers I love your wintery cards. I'm not ready for the real deal, but I'll take your paper version any day!

Vikki H said...

Love the cards and you can't ever have enough Christmas cards so your mistake was a win win! If the dies were available for that stamp set I'd probably order it as it's been on my wish list. Your birds are so sweet and such good insect feeders too!

TK said...

Adorable cards, as always! I have that set but it hasn't seen light for awhile -- maybe soon :o)
Your nestlings are also adorable -- I think the squeaky wheel gets the grease on this one... and PNW? Hmmmm

Jeanne said...

Oh goodness! Welcome back, Michele. I missed you! I hope you had an amazing staycation. :) Those little babies are so cute. The middle picture...I can just hear it yelling, Maaaaa! I'm hungry!!!! :D Thanks for sharing them. Your cards...well they are fantastic! I love the card designs and the beautiful red inks against the kraft. Limitless layers or not, you always delight!

JulieP said...

You know what they say about the squeaky wheel getting the first worm. ROFL! I love seeing your wildlife. Oh yeah....awesome cards too. *Wink*

Brenda said...

OMGosh, look at those precious little faces peeking out! What amazing photo's you guys have captured Michele! I love it!!! And speaking of love, I love both of your cards! I see layers on your first card, layers of snow banks and a window. lol Love this one with the snow shoes. Very beautiful color combo as well. Your twofer, is beautiful too in the came color combo-one of my favorites for Christmas. Love the scallop base, the beautiful snowflakes embossed on and the cool ski's. Great play date for sure! Hugs, Brenda

Marcia Hill said...

Both cards are FABULOUS Michele...haven't played with that set in SOOOO long!! And you just can't go wrong with red and gray!! Your bird photos are AWESOME my friend....love, LOVE the one with its mouth wide open!!! Off to see what Jen has done now. Hugs. :0)

Bobby said...

That first bird picture is worthy of a contest entry, Michele. So cute!!! Your cards have given me inspiration for some cards of my own using that set. I've always loved it but run out of ways to display them. I have that PTI layer die and it's rarely used but it looks great to show off the skis.

Bonnie said...

Awesome photos of these adorable babies, Michele! You should enter these shots in a contest! Your card playing this month has yielded two fun winter sports cards! Both are great additions to your Christmas stash!

Stephanie Lanzalotto said...

Beautiful birdies! What amazing pictures. And your cards are both fantastic. Love the colors and the stamp sets that you chose, and the wonderful cards that you designed with them.

Cat Craig said...

Great colors and wonderful cards...gave me some inspiration.

ElizStewart said...

Great pics!! and great cards!

Ros Crawford said...

What terrific photos!! Oh they are so cute!! And what terrific cards... loving the colour combo!

HilaryJane said...

Lucky you to have swallows in your garden, it is so amazing to see them grow. Two great cards too, but you make me think of winter, which I don’t really want to do as it is my least fav time of year. I do love that colour combo though and such lovely texture. Hope you enjoyed your hols xx

Linda Callahan said...

Oh those birdies! Love the one with the mouth wide open waiting for a treat…..I can relate! And your wintry cards are gorgeous….great dies and images combined perfectly as only you can!

Tracey McNeely said...

Michele, the tree swallows are so cute what a treat!
Love the cards you made while playing with Jen, I really need to get that set out again to play with. Sorry I haven't been around. I have honestly not been around! Hoping to change that. Have a wonderful weekend!

Barb Ghig said...

WOW! 2 really fabulous cards, Michele! I love your take on your theme and how you played with the color palette! You certainly know how to make it work, my friend...Hats off to both of you for a job well done :) xx

Papercraft Boutique said...

Your newest bird-family members are so adorable, Michele! The second picture of the little one with its mouth wide open makes me think that I should open my mouth bigger when I ask Matt for something. ;-)
Your Christmas in July cards are so lovely! The red and Kraft color combo gives off a cozy warm feeling. Love the beautiful white-on-white texture (vellum snow drifts and delicate snowflakes)! I'm off to check out Jen's card!
Hideko xx

Karen Dunbrook said...

love your cards!! wonderfully done and those bird pics are just wonderful, you captured them right at the perfect moment.
xx Karen